Are you having problems marketing your products or services?
Are you encountering issues while growing your personal brand?
Are you afraid whether your 9-5 job is at risk due to the changing scenario and technological advancements?
Or are you just somebody who likes to read more and more about Marketing and Branding as a whole?
Then this article is the only one that you would need to read to know inside out about marketing and how you can be a good marketer, not only in your company but also in your life.
In today’s world everyone needs to be a good marketer – whether you are an employee in a firm, an entrepreneur, looking for a job, a student, or a housewife.
How well do you perform a presentation to your boss to how well do you brand a dish containing Capsicum in it to your nagging son is an art – the art of Marketing.
This article is curated specially for you where I will talk about:
- Why Invest Time and Effort in Learning Marketing?
- Fundamentals of Marketing – What all you need to know?
- How to set your financial goal – Where do you want to see yourself?
- The most important skill you need to be a good marketer – Communication
- How to choose a profitable niche for your next business or your personal brand?
- Digital Marketing vs Traditional Marketing – Which one is better?
- Content Attention Trust Transaction (CATT) Marketing Funnel and how to implement it?
- Integrated Digital Marketing – How to go about it?
- Personal Branding – Why and How to grow your Personal Brand? – Mass Trust Blueprint
First things first,
Let Us Talk about Marketing
What do you think Marketing is?
I would say it is nothing but how well do you know about your product or service and how well would you be able to communicate the same with someone else?
Now this product or service may be anything ranging from-
A dish that you made
A painting that you painted
A product that you invented or
A list of values you can provide to a company – your CV
As the world sets its feet out of this deadly pandemic, the world will not be the same like before. Things will change, economies will fall, jobs will be lost, technologies will evolve and the way humans live will not be the same anymore – some of which we have already started to experience.
The most important goal right now for everyone will be to SURVIVE
And to Survive, you will have to be better than all your competitors, in short, you need to become the best version of YOU.
Gone are the days when you used to take thousands of printouts of your CV, call up Recruitment firms, create your account on Naukri.com and hope to get a call back which never occurred.
Employers now won’t give you a job on your degree but on your credibility – what value you are capable of to bring onboard.
And how do you show it to people?
You do the Right Marketing!
As I said earlier that after reading this article you will leave as a marketing genius so it’s my duty now to make you a better marketer by the end of this page.
So let’s start from the start.
Why Invest Time and Effort in Learning Marketing?
The best thing to invest your time into something right now must be learning Marketing. I keep telling this to my clients and colleagues that Marketing is not a skill, it is a talent that you are born with and by upgrading your knowledge and hands on practice you can unleash your 2.0 version of yourself.
Be it personal branding or selling your product or service to your potential customers, marketing is the only way you can achieve your dreams.
- Marketing Education has a long shelf life because it is rooted in human psychology and understanding the market.
- Marketing as a concept has existed since the dawn of civilization.
- It is the most valuable investment in a business as it gives direct returns unlike any other department: Production, HR, Accounting which are expenses that do not give immediate ROI.
- If you are a founder of a company, you need to be a good marketer first as first you need to sell the idea to your employees on why they should work for your company and then to clients on why they should buy your product or service.
- If you know how to market yourself, you are already better than a lot of people.
Fundamentals of Marketing – What all you need to know?
Now that you all know what Marketing is, it is important for us to dive into the fundamentals of marketing – some important insights that all of you must understand to become a good marketer.
- Marketing starts before creating a product. It starts with understanding the customers and his/her needs.
- Marketing is not selling, but you can safely say that selling is a part of marketing that generates tangible revenues.
- Marketing is about sending the right message to the right person at the right time.
- The main purpose of marketing is to build a brand and capture a position in the minds of the customers.
- Advertising, copy writing and sales – are all components of marketing that integrate themselves to create a proper marketing campaign.
- Marketing is what you do to communicate your product or service to your potential customers.
- Branding is a part of marketing that helps your customers to build trust for your brand and stick to it.
- If you have a great product and no proper marketing, there is a high chance that your product may fail.
How to set your financial goal – Where do you want to see yourself?
Now let me ask you something – what is your end goal in life?
Some would say – to be happy and peaceful.
But the majority would say – to earn lots of money.
Come on! We all know no money is enough money.
Yes, money will not solve all your problems in life, but it will surely solve all the money problems in your life.
Now, how to set your goal and achieve it?
How tough does it sound to earn Rs. 1 crore?
Very tough, moderately tough, easy – let me know in the comments section what you feel.
I am sure most of you would say that it is very tough.
If you want to earn Rs. 1 crore in the coming few years, you would have to sell a product of Rs. 1,00,000 to 100 customers or Rs. 10,000 to 1000 customers.
Yes it’s tough!
Wait, there is another way which I missed explaining.
How about selling 1,00,000 customers a product for Rs. 100 only?
Now it seems reachable right? It is. Go and win it!
There is no right way to marketing, the way you can is the way to go. – Arjuni Nag
The most important skill you need to be a good marketer – Communication
All your life you might have believed that the most important skill to be a good marketer is – to be a good salesman.
But today, as I promised to make you a Marketing Genius, it is my duty to tell you the truth!
The most important skill to become a good marketer and the best version of yourself is to be a great Communicator.– Arjuni Nag
I’ll give you reasons as to why I would ask you to believe the above statement:
- Good marketing is all about great communication.
- If you are a good communicator, your potential customer would always look up to you.
- You can strike up a conversation about your brand or yourself with anyone at any time.
- Communication helps understand people better removing misunderstanding and creating clarity of thoughts and expression.
- It helps in building your personal brand or your company to generate trust and loyalty.
- A good communicator can make anything and everything possible for himself.
How to choose a profitable niche for your next business or your personal brand?
Choosing a niche for your business or your personal brand is the most important decision you will have to make as an entrepreneur. Today, the world is thriving to have specialists working for them and not a person who is ‘jack of all trades, master of none.’
Being a specialist has always had this trend, but now it is more of a compulsion than a choice.
Now, how do you choose your niche?
Choosing your niche might be a complicated process especially for a budding entrepreneur. A lot of people will give you lots of ideas, but none of them works. I’ll tell you what does.
Your perfect niche should be a mass product of three most important factors:
If you solely take any one or two factors into consideration from above, you are surely making a huge mistake and you won’t be able to sustain in the long game. I’ll tell you how:
If you have Passion and Talent but no Market, there’s no point making it a business, as there will be no demand for the product/service you are offering.
If you have Passion and Market but no Talent, you may try very hard but someone who has better talent in the particular domain will always surpass you.
If you have Talent and Market but no Passion, then in the short term you will do well but in the long term you will get tired of what you are doing and most certainly consider quitting it.
So the combination of the three – Passion, Talent and Market will help you choose the most profitable niche that you could go for.
Do not think about the destination while working on your niche, enjoy the Journey.– Arjuni Nag
Digital Marketing vs Traditional Marketing – Which one is better?
Be it traditional marketing or digital marketing, you need to be a good marketer first.
Remember both the terms are more about marketing and not about digital or traditional.
Both Digital Marketing or Traditional Marketing can be useful for your brand depending on the product or service you are selling.
Myth Buster: Traditional marketing is never going anywhere. Maybe the forms of it can get digital with time, but physical marketing is here to stay.
I’ll provide some insights for you to try and understand which one will work better for your brand:
- If a product is generic with a very wide targeting – TV Ads can reach millions at a low cost. (Ex. Apple iPhone)
- India has TV in 197 million homes out of 298 million homes. It has a reach of close to 1 billion people in India. The reach of Digital Marketing is nowhere close to TV based on numbers alone. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Digital Marketing is the best medium to reach the affluent English Speaking market in India with spending power – around 100 Million users.
- Radio has a reach of 65% of Indian Population. (Source: Financial Express)
- Digital Marketing can be an alternative for small businesses who do not have huge marketing budgets.
- Digital marketing provides you much more data, insights and control on your advertisements than traditional marketing.
With the help of all these insights, I hope I have surely made your decision easier on what works better for you – Traditional Marketing or Digital Marketing.
Content Attention Trust Transaction (CATT) Marketing Funnel and how to implement it?
If you have been into marketing, I am sure you have heard about the widely accepted marketing funnel – AIDA which stands for Attention, Interest, Desire and Action.
But with the growing age, you have to keep upgrading yourself as a marketer.
Gone are the days when leaflets used to work, when direct selling or random cold calling would bring you sales. In today’s world, if you cannot generate value for your customer before making the sale, he/she would never buy from you.
Before selling your product, you will have to sell your Content and that will drive attention and trust in the process. Here your revenue is Attention and not Money.
Let’s talk about the CATT Funnel – Content, Attention, Trust and Transaction.
Wealth = n^CATT, where (n) is your niche.
[C] Content: Create useful content that attracts people from your niche. Blog posts, videos, live magnets, webinars, etc.
[A] Attention: Drive attention to your content using SEO, Social Media, Paid Ads and Referrals.
[T] Trust: Build trust with your audience with trip wires, marketing automation and retargeting.
[T] Transaction: Convert your leads into paying customers with natural sales methods.
What is the Natural Sales Method?
Natural Sales Method works when:
- you have a target customer
- he/she is already looking for the product service you are selling
- you have built trust with him/her, and
- then the sales will happen naturally.
Integrated Digital Marketing – How to go about it?
Let us first talk about what Integrated Digital Marketing is.
Integrated digital marketing is, as it sounds, the integration of multiple marketing strategies to form a cohesive online approach for your business. Here’s what it typically entails: web development and design, search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM), content marketing and the cooperative working of all the integrals to work together and build a foolproof sales funnel.
Lot of people just do Content Marketing and think that it will give them results.
They do SEO only but it does not work.
They run Facebook Ads, Google Ads just to come to know that nothing works fine.
This is where the concept of Integrated Digital Marketing comes.
You try to integrate all these integrals in such a way that it becomes a machine.
Rather than going into each platform, run ads and ask people to pay for it, how you can do better is integrate your leverage on each platform with one another and try to generate value. Don’t ask them for money, ask them for attention – sales will come naturally.
There will be people in different stages when your brand is concerned:
There will be people who are attracted to you.
There will be people who are building trust with you, and
There will be people who are considering buying from you
Integrated Digital Marketing Framework is how you execute all of these stages together and make them follow a loop. It is the engine that drives the CATT Funnel.
Personal Branding – Why and How to grow your Personal Brand? – Mass Trust Blueprint
Now last but not the least, I am sure all of you must be waiting for this as this is the need of the hour right now – Personal Branding
Most of us are always confused with their careers because nobody has ever told us how to plan it.
Today, I am going to teach you something that can change your life!
Personal Branding is the most popular keyword right now that is flooding the internet. Gone are the days when employers used to hire you by looking at your CV, employers now want to hire brands. And who are these brands? – You.
Whether you are a job seeker or an entrepreneur or a blogger you need to know how to brand yourself as a personal brand.
Let us talk about the Powers of Personal Branding: (The Why)
- The best known will always beat the best – If you are good at something and the world does not know about it, it is similar to you not being good at it.
- People want to hear from people, not from brands. – Come on, no one wants to talk to a logo!
- Elon Musk has a bigger following than SpaceX and Tesla and most of the biggest entrepreneurs in the world are working on their own personal brands. Ask yourself why?
- A personal brand might give rise to many brands from his/her influence.
- A personal brand becomes an influencer and a brand ambassador for the companies that they run.
The evolution of a Personal Brand – The Mass Trust BluePrint
- Learn: Learn a new skill through concepts, facts and procedures.
- Work: Put your new found skills to work. Go from practice to implementation. Implementation of your learning into the real world will enhance your experience.
- Blog: Write about what you have learned and experienced through your work. When you write, you understand things better. Here you start building your Personal Brand.
- Consult: Now that you are a Personal Brand where you are sharing your experiences and learning, people will stick with you and look up to you. This is the stage where you start consulting people and sharing your knowledge to the ones who require it. Start consulting other businesses rather than working for them.
- Mentor: Mentor others who want to become like you. Mentoring others will scale your understanding to a whole new level as right now you are mentoring a lot of people at the same time. So now, you are shifting from one-on-one to one-to-many consulting.
- Startup: Start your own product or service business with the understanding that you have developed about the market, the problem that you think you can solve with your years of experience and skills.
- Repeat: Repeat the full funnel again as learning never stops!
As I said earlier, Marketing is more of a learning experience than anything else. It is something that helps you evolve as a better person. It is challenging but entertaining at the same time. And people who love marketing are the actual risk takers. Let me know in the comments if you are one?
So as I conclude, I hope today you are taking back a lot of information and learning as a whole. I did not want this to be so big, but I couldn’t help but explain the concepts in detail for your better understanding.
If you would like to learn more from me, know more about me and enjoy reading my blogs, do let me know in the comments section below.
This article has been mainly curated from the learnings I got from Digital Deepak Internship Program.
Also subscribe to my newsletter to receive further updates on your email whenever I upload a new article.